WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE LODGING AN EOI?
1. What is Expression of Interest?
If you are a skilled worker or business person from overseas who wants to migrate to Australia and wish to apply for one of the visas below. You will require to do a point-test called Expression of Interest, which will assess your application if you are eligible to receive an invitation to lodge a visa application, or a state or territory government.
2. What is point test?
The point test is designed to help Australia choose people who have the required skills and attributes to contribute in its economy. The number of points required depend on the visa and occupation you are applying for. For streams which require a pass mark, you must indicate that your points score is above the pass mark to receive an invitation. The number of points on the Points Test will based on the following criteria:
o English Language Ability
o Work experience
3. What is SkillSelect and how does it work?
SkillSelect is an online system introduced by the Australian government for skilled workers to be considered for a skilled migration visa. Applicants submitting information in SkillSelect are either nominated or invited by the Department, Australian employers or state and territory government to apply for the visa.
4. Which visas require an invitation through SkillSelect?
Skilled Points Tested Visas:
- Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189)
- Skilled Nominated visa (Subclass 190)
- Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 489)
Business Skills Visas:
- Business Talent visa (Subclass 132)
- Business Innovation Visa and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188)
Other Employer Sponsored Visas- where potential employers can see your details and contact you if they are interested in sponsoring you.
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187)
5. Do I get a bridging visa after I lodge my Expression of Interest?
You do not receive a Bridging Visa when you lodge an EOI as it is not a visa application
You will only receive a bridging visa once you have lodged the visa application itself – this would require you to pass skills assessment and receive an invitation.
6. What is next after submitting the EOI?
Once you have completed your EOI, it is stored in SkillSelect and is valid for two years. It is your responsibility to update your information at any time. These changes may also affect your points score and may improve your ranking. If there is any incorrect, false or misleading information on your EOI, your application may get refused.
Invitations are issued automatically and regularly by the SkillSelect system to the highest ranking EOIs, subject to occupation ceilings.
- If you are invited to apply for a visa you will receive an invitation from SkillSelect. You will then have 60 days from the date of invitation to make a valid visa application online before the invitation expires.
Applications received outside of this timeframe will not be valid and you will need to wait for a further invitation before being eligible to make an application.
- If your EOI is not invited or selected- You will not be notified of the progress of your EOI or be able to obtain any updates on the likelihood of receiving an invitation.
After each invitation round the lowest points scoring points test mark will be published. You will have an idea of your potential for receiving an invitation in future rounds.
7. How long will it take to get an invitation?
The processing times for invitations vary depending upon certain factors including number of applications at the time, occupations, point score, current demand in the country, etc.
It can be either be approved in less than two months or may get extended to one year.
8. Can I submit multiple EOI’s?
Only one EOI can be submitted at the time to the program. The perspective applicant can submit a new EOI if the old one is expired, or the applicant has received a Letter of Advice of Apply and decided to dismiss the invitation.
9. Can a migration agent assist to submit my EOI?
A registered migration agent can help you in submitting the EOI and advise you further on your circumstances. They are legally authorised to provide advice on the Australian immigration and regularly update about the current rule changes and such.
Submitting an EOI does not guarantee an invitation to apply for the visa. Any kind of costs in preparing an EOI will not be refunded. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you get expert advices before process further